Thursday, March 02, 2006

oscar time - predictions

It's time for the Academy Awards. I've seen all the Best Picture nominees this year, but I haven't seen all the other films nominated in all categories. But I'm making my picks anyway.

BEST PICUTRE - Brokeback Mountain
BEST ACTOR - Phillip Seymour Hoffman in "Capote"
BEST ACTRESS - Reese Witherspoon for "Walk the Line"
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - George Clooney for "Syriana"
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Michelle Williams in "Brokeback Mountain"
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE - Howl's Moving Castle
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY - CRASH
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY - Brokeback Mountain
BEST DIRECTOR - Ang Lee for "Brokeback Mountain"
ART DIRECTION - Memoirs of a Geisha
CINEMATOGRAPHY - Brokeback Mountain
COSTUME DESIGN - Memoirs of a Geisha
DOCUMENTARY FEATURE - March of the Penguins
DOCUMENTARY SHORT - God Sleeps in Rwanda
EDITING - Crash
FOREIGN FILM - Tsotsi
MAKEUP - The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
ORIGINAL SCORE - John Williams "Munich" or "Memoirs of a Geisha"
ORIGINAL SONG - "Travelin Thru" - Dolly Parton for "Transamerica"
ANIMATED SHORT - 9
LIVE ACTION SHORT - Six Shooter
SOUND EDITING - King Kong
SOUND MIXING - Walk the Line
VISUAL EFFECTS - King Kong

Couple of notes: I didn't care for Good night and Good luck. I appreciated it, but I didn't like it. Loved Transamerica. Couldn't believe that it was so good. If Felicity Huffman beats Reese than I won't be disappointed. Best Actor category is filled with lots of deserving guys. I think if it was a different year than any one of them could win, so don't be surprised if the Oscar goes to someone other than Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Well, I'll be watching. Let's see how I do.

Expect to see many of the same contenders win Independent Spirit Awards, with Felicity Huffman taking Best Actress at those awards. You may even see a win for The Squid and the Whale at the Spirit Awards. Check those out on Saturday with the Oscars on Sunday. I'll give myself a report card on Monday or Tuesday.

No comments: