Sunday, June 18, 2006

no clue movie review: Cars


First, I need to say that I work for Disney and got to see a free screening of this flick. I am also a huge fan of Pixar's previous films and continue to be impressed with their storytelling techniques. This movie had me worried since last year when I first saw a teaser trailer. I thought, here's the one that ends Pixar's streak and they make a dud. I'm pleased to say that isn't the case and whatever they are feeding their animators and storytellers up in Emeryville, CA, they need to continue to do it.

This movie marked a return to the director's chair for John Lasseter who was the man behind Toy Story. He also had the help of some great voices like Owen Wilson, Bonnie Hunt and Paul Newman. These voices helped embody these cars and help to make them more human. The storyline also helps. It shows a kid who is good, but feels destined to do well. He also doesn't think that he needs the help of anyone and can do it alone. Over the course of the movie, he finds himself and discovers that having friends and being kind and helping others is what makes a person great. Sounds simple right? It is. The plot is so simple that I'm sure you've seen hundreds of these types of movies before. It's not the plot in this movie, it's the characters that really get you in this movie. It surprised me. At the beginning of the flick, I'm thinking how cute, this movie is all about cars and they are the only characters in the movie. It's like a world of cars. Then, by the end of the movie, I can easily say that didn't even enter my mind. I was viewing these cartoon characters as living breathing people whom I cared deeply for. I even teared up a bit at the ending.

This movie is touching and is great for kids and adults. There are tons of laughs too. In fact, there is a scene about tractor tipping that is really hilarious. I laughed pretty hard at that one.

The animation in the movie is top notch. The computer animation of Pixar is leaps and bounds ahead of others, or it may be that computer animation is really coming into its own as an art form. But I found the animation striking, the colors fantastic and I didn't even get to see this movie in digital projection where I'm sure it really shines. This movie also begs that you stay behind to watch the entire end credit sequence. It has some great moments and is really hilarious. It really also takes the idea of this world of cars into a whole new realm. I was roaring laughing during it.

All in all, this is a great movie. It's filled with laughs, tears, touching moments and above all great characters. Pixar has done it again with Cars. You really need to rev up your engines and go see this movie. You'll thank me for it.

For more information, visit the official site
watch the trailer

Got comments or suggestions? email me

Come back soon for more, until then I'll probably be at a movie....

No comments: