Sunday, June 18, 2006

no clue movie review: Poseidon


Hmmm....Not sure if anyone was looking forward to this movie or not. I know I didn't much care. But I knew it would have a killer special effect wave since it was being directed by Wolfgang Petersen, the man who brought us The Perfect Storm. What I didn't know is that to fill out the large cast we'd have a group of TV actors, some older more established actors, an ex-Real Worlder and some up and coming Hollywood types. It must have been because the wave and the destruction cost so much money. Too bad no one budgeted for a story and script.

Here's the skinny. I saw this movie in IMAX, which I think added to my enjoyment of the film. That saying, it was bad. I mean the acting was pretty flat, the dialogue was absolutely awful, which made me feel bad for the actors for having to say the crap. Then they were submerged for most of the movie running around in dirty water. I thought you got treated better on a big movie set. Oh well, they got paid. Too bad no one paid me to watch this awful flick.

The thin plot concerns a luxury cruise liner that sets sail for a New Year's Eve cruise. The guests are all decked out and having fun and then BOOM, a massive wave capsizes the ship. This causes mass destruction and then some people try to get out. It's tragic I know. But the flick is far from riveting. I couldn't believe it. I thought that there was no way to make this not riveting. People spend most of the movie trying to escape death. There's a big cool wave, which is well done, the destruction is marvelous. It really is. It's just back to this very bad dialogue and the whole time you just know you are watching a movie. I mean the sets are so extravagant, that they don't feel real. This movie reminded me so much why I really enjoyed Titanic. That movie had heart, it had real characters that I got to know before they were in mortal danger.

The good parts of this movie are definitely the special effects. They are truly spectacular. The other good part is the pace. It moves very fast. I didn't need to look at my watch to see when it would be over, because it moved so fast. The whole time I watched the movie, I felt so bad for the actors. Petersen seems more concerned with all the cool effects that he almost seems to forget to direct these poor actors. Reminding me of the poor players in Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

I will say that I saw this in glorious IMAX projection which was out of this world. It did reveal some flaws in some of the opening computer animated sequences, since I felt like I was watching a bad nintendo game. But I attribute this to the enormous size of the screen. It envelops you and didn't hurt my eyes like I thought it would for a long flick. I hope to see more movies this way, since it seems to add to the moviegoing experience for me, and only for a few dollars more than a regular movie.

I don't what else to say. I thought this flick was bad. Really bad. Good special effects. The only reason to go see this movie is to see the big wave and boat capsizing.

for more information, (if you care) visit the official site

Got comments or suggestions? email me

Come back soon for more, until then I'll probably be at a movie....

new movie reviews coming very soon: Brick, XMEN 3: The Last Stand & more

No comments: