Wednesday, June 21, 2006

no clue movie review: The Da Vinci Code


I know that this movie had a lot of controversy surrounding it, but that part didn't bother me. I was just hoping for a great film. Based on a worldwide best seller, it seems that everyone in the known world has read this book but me. Not sure if that would have made me enjoy this movie more, because I was a little disappointed.

For those of you who aren't yet familiar, The Da Vinci Code is about a secret organization inside the Catholic church that is hiding a religious mystery, and clues are found in Da Vinci paintings. It is based in reality, but it is fiction. Controversy aside, let's take this flick at face value. I will say it has a great beginning. Chilling and exciting at the same time. But for me, it lost steam about halfway through and never recovered.

Tom Hanks plays Robert Langdon who is the man seeking out the clues to uncover this mystery. He is joined by Audrey Tatou, Ian McKellan, Jean Reno and Paul Bettany among others. The actors do a fine job. Directed by the masterful, but conservative Ron Howard. I can't say that the movie was bad, poorly directed or boring to watch. At times, I found it to be downright exciting. The problem I had is that the movie has some real slow spots. I just found myself saying "so what" at times and not getting into the movie. Maybe it's me, I just didn't feel transported to a new place enough. I was too aware that I was watching a movie.

The movie is slick and looks fantastic. It runs all over Paris and has some great location shots. The movie for the most part, has a good pace, but like I said at times, it does seem to drag. I found myself looking at my watch quite a bit and I didn't have anywhere to go after I was done. I didn't really feel like I knew the characters very well and I didn't feel like I was connecting with them very much. Maybe some of it has to do with my inability to suspend enough disbelief. Whenever movies involve religion it's tough. People come to the screen looking for holes or just have their own set of beliefs up front that are hard to shake.

It's funny, even though I was disappointed in the movie and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, I can't put my finger on precisely what is missing in this movie. I can't seem to find a technical flaw that says "oh, that's why I didn't like it". I guess it just happens sometimes. The movie left me blank. It left no real impression on me, except for some harrowing and disturbing scenes with Paul Bettany. You'll know them when you see them. I can't recommend the movie, but I can't say don't see it. I say, if you're interested and you can't get into anything else you have a bigger interest in seeing, then see it. Otherwise, wait for video.

For more information, visit the official site
watch the psp compatible movie trailer

Got comments or suggestions? email me

Come back soon for more, until then I'll probably be at a movie....

No comments: